In November members of the CMG freelance bargaining subcommittee met with CBC management to begin negotiations on provisions for freelancers in the CMG-CBC collective agreement, which expires March 31, 2019.
The major issues under discussion are
– the proper use of contracts including:
– the appropriate use of the different categories
– when members should be hired as temporary vs. freelance contract
– the process to produce a contract or reasonable alternative before work begins
– clarity regarding freelancers who do temporary employee work as well
– appropriate language regarding the engagement of minors
– rates that reflect the value freelancers bring to CBC
Three more days of negotiations are planned for January. In the meantime, if you freelance at the CBC and have any concerns about the above issues, please get in touch with Freelance Branch President Don Genova at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don Genova, Freelance Branch President
Alison Motluk, CMG Freelance Member
Jonathan Spence, CMG-CBC Branch President
Karen Wirsig, CMG Staff Representative
POSTED IN: CMG news